April 2022: Training Update
We still use a booking system for those who want to join a training session on Tuesday or Thursday. To join in you have to book a place through the Run Together website.
Running is natural for us but due to our sedatory lifestyle, we can only cope with small burst of it at a time, this means that if we want to run medium distances or above ( > 5km) it is prudent to formally train to allow bones, tendons, muscles and brains to adapt to the stresses of regular running.
We all run for different reasons, whether it's to lose weight, keep passably fit or, in some cases, to enter and maybe even win races. Whatever the motivation the benefits of training with a club are:
- Its is sociable running with like-minded runners, and you'll also be expanding your social circle to meet new friends,
- Its is motivating and you will be encouraged to run regularly,
- Its is safe, all of our routes are assessed for risks, and if anything unfortunate happens there will others to assist you,
- You will benefit from the experience of other runners on how to avoid injury, how to improve, the best running routes etc.
- You'll will get discounts at certain shops and events.
Running can also aid weight control but any when backed by a sensible diet.
Our regular training consists of two core elements:
- Track training (Thursdays),
- Muster Run (Tuesdays and Thursdays).
These are described in the Training Format page.
We also provide training for Cross Country in the winter as well as ad-hoc training covering core muscles and general fitness.