Cross Country - Clarke Gardens
The Clarke Gardens race is hosted by Penny Lane Striders, and is a pleasant run of nearly 5 miles through parkland. It is fairly flat, mostly on grass with one stretch through the woods which can be a bit muddy depending on the amount of rain beforehand. It is very suitable for newcomers, trail shoes or spikes are best, through road shoes may suffice in dry conditions. The course is great for spectators as well.
Refreshments are usually at the Cheshire Lines club which is about a mile away. Address is:
How to get there
Meet Broomfields car park at 8:15am for a 10am start to either car share or go in convoy.
Directions from Warrington:
- Pick up the A562 (from Widnes/Runcorn bridge) known as Ford Road.
- Take the exit slip road for A562 (which is after the A5300).
- Follow until small roundabout (still on A562) and take 2nd exit (Higher Lane).
- Continue over 2 sets of traffic lights for about approx 1½ miles until traffic lights at cross road junction (Kwik save on right and a few shops on the left). Go straight on (Hillfoot Avenue).
- At next traffic lights (Asda/retail park entrance opposite) keep right and bear right (still A562).
- Keeping left and after about 200/300 metres
- Take 1st left turn into Springwood Avenue.
- Passing cemeteries on both sides, car park to Clarke Gardens is on the right following the sign for pub inn on the park.
- Keep on going to the next Junction, turn left into Woolton Rd and park on the road on the left after a couple of hundred meters.
At either end of the park as described above.
There are no toilet or changing facilities near the race course. There are toilet and shower facilities at the Cheshire Lines Club house.
Clarke Gardens in Goggle maps.
View Larger Map