Cross Country - Birchwood Forest Park
This race seems to take in all the bad bits of Birchwood Forest Park including a large pool! So beware it can be very muddy; spikes or studs are probable best for this course.
The course is a four lap route and a total of 5¼ miles (8½k), as measured by GPS. The course is on grass and wooded trails, and crosses tarmac footpaths in several places. The bunkers are quite steep-sided and it is often wet and muddy.
The race starts at:
The Ranger Centre
Birchwood Forest Park
off Moss Gate
The Forest Park is a little under 1 mile from M62 J11.
- From the J11 roundabout, go down the A574, Birchwood Way.
- After a little over ½ mile, at the first roundabout take the first exit (left) onto Moss Gate.
- After about 300 yards, turn right at the roundabout into the Forest Park public car park.
We normally make own way there.
Plenty of parking at Forest Park.
Limited showers and toilets in the rangers hut.
Refreshments afterwards are at the Noggin Inn, 687 Warrington Road, Risley, WA3 6AY. [Warrington Road is the A574, heading in the direction of Leigh.]
Directions to the Noggin:
- At the roundabout at the exit from Forest Park car park, turn left
- At the next roundabout, straight on (2nd exit) into Daten Avenue
- At the next roundabout, 2nd exit, continuing on Daten Avenue
- At the next roundabout (near the big fountain), 2nd exit onto a short dual carriageway, continuing on Daten Avenue
- At the next roundabout (near the Spar shop), turn right (3rd exit) onto Warrington Road
- The Noggin is on the right in about ¼ mile
- he car park is round the back of the pub
- Parking is free at the pub so please ignore the signs saying take a ticket, they are for weekdays only.
Birchwood Forest Park in Google maps
View Larger Map
More information can be found on Steve Saunderswebsite.